With today marking the first day of August, we want to make sure you look your best self in your swimsuit "out east". Not only do we want you looking good for the balance of Summer (and beyond), but we also want to decrease your risk for diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. For this reason, losing tummy fat has massive benefits for your health and can help you live longer. If you want to trim some excess love handles around your waistline, then you should take some steps to get rid of it even if you're not very heavy overall. Thankfully, there are a few proven scientific strategies that have been shown to target the fat in the tummy area. Implementing these effective strategies will have you looking like your best self for your next picture on the 'gram. Here are five evidence-based ways to help you slim down showing noticeable results in just a few days.
Avoiding Sugar and Sugar-Based Beverages. Added sugar—which is made up of half glucose and half sucrose--is very unhealthy. Studies have proven that sugar has uniquely harmful effects on metabolic health. When you eat added sugar, the liver gets overloaded with fructose and is forced to turn it into fat. Numerous studies have shown that excess sugar, mostly due to the large amounts of fructose, can lead to increased accumulation of fat in the belly and liver. Some experts believe that this is the primary mechanism behind sugar's harmful effects on health. Liquid sugars are even worse since liquid calories aren't "categorized" by the brain in the same fashion as solid calories. Said differently, when you drink sugar-sweetened beverages you end up eating more total calories increasing the risk of obesity. Make a commitment to minimize the amount of sugar in your diet, and consider completely eliminating sugary drinks, including sodas, fruit juices, high-sugar sport drinks and alcoholic drinks that contain sugary syrups. This is not to be confused with whole fruit, which are extremely healthy and provide an abundance of fiber that mitigates the negative effects of fructose. Being mindful to the amount of excess sugar consumption can decrease the amount of excess fat in the belly.
Cut the Carbs. Restricting carbs from your diet is a proven by numerous studies to be an effective way to lose belly fat. It’s very simple, when carbs are cut in our diets, our appetite and weight goes down. Low-carb diets also lead to quick reductions in water weight, which gives people near instant results if they have an upcoming beach vacation or a best friend’s wedding. By avoiding the deadly refined carbs (sugar, candy, white bread, etc.) results can be noticed in just 1-2 days, especially if you keep your protein intake high. If you need to lose weight fast, then consider dropping your carbs down to 50 grams per day putting your body into a state of ketosis. This will stave off your appetite and making your body start burning primarily fats for fuel.
Consume More Protein. Protein is the most important macro-nutrient when it comes to burning fat and losing weight. If weight loss is your primary goal, then adding protein is possibly the single most effective change you can make to your diet. Not only will it help you lose weight, it also mitigates regaining weight if you ever decide to abandon your weight loss strategy.
One study showed that the amount and quality of protein consumed was inversely related to fat in the belly. Said differently, people who consumed more and cleaner lean proteins had much less belly fat. This study also showed that refined carbs and oils were linked to increased amounts of belly fat, while fruits and vegetables are linked to reduced amounts of fat. Many of the studies indicate protein to be effective had protein at 25–30% of calories, which should be your macro-nutrients goal. Therefore, you should make an effort to increase your intake of high-protein foods like legumes, nuts, fruits, vegetables, spirulina, quinoa, nut butters, oats and oatmeal. These are the best vegan protein sources in the diet. If you struggle with getting enough protein in your diet, then a premium protein supplement (like organic plant-based protein powders) is a healthy and convenient way to boost your total intake. Increasing your amount of consuming quality proteins can boost your metabolism and reduce hunger levels, making it a very effective way to lose weight.
Eat High-Fiber Superfoods. Dietary fiber is mostly indigestible plant matter. Many studies have shown that eating plenty of fiber can help with weight loss, but it's important to keep in mind that not all fiber is created equal. Soluble and viscous fibers--fibers that bind water and form a thick gel that lays in the gut--have an effect on your weight. This gel can dramatically slow the movement of food through your digestive system and slow down the digestion and absorption of nutrients. The end result is a prolonged feeling of fullness and reduced appetite and the reduction of harmful belly fat. The best way to get more fiber is to eat a lot of plant foods like vegetables and fruit. Legumes are also a good source, as well as oatmeal and oats.
Implement an Exercise Regimen. Exercise is important for various reasons, especially if you want to live a long, healthy life and avoid disease. Aside from all the amazing benefits that exercise provides, it is also very effective at reducing belly fat. One of the biggest misconceptions is that if you want to lose tummy fat, that you need to do abs exercises--this could not be further from reality. Reducing fat in one spot of the body is not possible, therefore doing countless ab exercises will not assist in you losing those love handles any faster. Other types of aerobic exercises--like walking, running, swimming--have been shown to cause major reductions in stomach fat in numerous studies. Another study found that exercise completely prevented people from re-gaining abdominal fat after weight loss, suggesting that exercise is particularly important to keep the weight off after bikini season.
On everyone's vacation "to do" list is a flatter tummy. Although it's exceedingly unfortunate, fat loss doesn't come in the latest swimsuit collection of Emilio Pucci. You have to work for it, exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet. In short, to burn lower belly fat, reduce your calorie intake, cut out sugary and carb-heavy foods and drinks, eat more quality proteins and fiber, strength train and get regular cardiovascular.
There is peace and satisfaction that comes with being in a clean, non-cluttered environment or home. Generally speaking people who think their homes are well-organized typically were happy and at ease providing a connection between a clean house and overall mental well-being. Some of the primary benefits a clean home include better sleep, increased probability of eating healthier, rids allergies and toxins, increases overall energy, functionality and productivity, and last but not least, the activity of cleaning your home improves your mind and body. Below are some of our simple daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal and yearly cleaning tasks to keep you feeling your best self.
Daily Cleaning. If you’re not making you bed every morning, you’ve set your day up for failure. There is nothing more rewarding after a long day then climbing into a made bed. Additional 2-4 minute daily tasks include not leaving dirty dishes in the sink, wiping down counters and bathroom sinks.
Weekly Cleaning. We highly value the place where you spend approximately one-third of your life, so why not make sure you have clean sheets on a weekly basis. Vacuuming and dusting once a week or bi-weekly will remove dust mites and other allergens from your home. Bathrooms should also be put on your weekly list and you should never use a bathing towel more than three times. If you can’t find the time to dedicate one day to these tasks, try spreading them out and completing one area per day.
Monthly/Seasonal Cleaning. While rotating seasonal clothing is very common for most on a semi-annual or quarterly basis, we recommend the cleaning of refrigerators, bathroom shelves and your window treatments monthly. Wipe your refrigerator with a cloth dampened using a mild dishwashing liquid and water. Certain areas like handles and drawers could harbor sticky fingerprints. For stainless-steel surfaces, use commercial stainless-steel spray and wipe in the direction of the grain. We also recommend having your bedroom pillows and comforters laundered at least twice a year.
Yearly Tasks. Keeping your home clean is an ongoing task, so we recommend stretching out big cleaning projects. Depending on the size of your home, the people and animals living in it and other environmental factors, the replacement of air filters is imperative at least one if not two times per year. Air quality is critical to overall good health so make sure the air you are breathing in your home is not overlooked. Other yearly task include cleaning patio or terrace furniture, oven and the purging of important files and other items that you haven’t used during the past year.
Above is a list of chores and tasks that we recommend for a cleaner mind, body and home. We recommend you go through the rooms of your home and make your own daily, weekly, monthly/seasonal and yearly checklist to gain peace and tranquility, because at the end of the day you step into your home, close the door and leave the noise, confusion, and chaos outside.
Considered a fruit, nut and seed, the coconut is one of those foods we just can’t get enough of. Wherever you are the thoughts of coconuts immediately transports you to a beautiful tropical coastline with sunny beach and crystal blue waters. In addition to island runaways, coconuts are also the secret weapon for many health and beauty experts. In this article we are going to highlight the complex role that coconuts play in diet and health.
Health Studies Evolve. As studies advance, we continue to learn how the guidance from the “experts” has changed regarding fats. This can be recognized on the stance of nuts, which previously were considered unhealthy due to the high amounts of fats they contain.
Coconut Oil Composition. Coconuts are largely made up of saturated fats and contain approximately 62% medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Medium chain fats have a substantive amount of benefits and are metabolized by the body differently from long-chain fats.
MCTs. Most fats we consume take longer to digest, but MCTs found in coconut oil are the perfect source of energy because they only go through a 3-step process to be turned in fuel, while other fats have a 26-step process! Unlike long-chain fatty acids found in plant-based oils, MCTs are easier to digest, smaller in size allowing cell permeability, process by the liver meaning they are immediately converted to energy and not stored as fat.
Misconceptions. Many people compare coconut oil to animal fats and that couldn’t be any more inaccurate. Coconut fats and animal fats have very different fatty acid profiles with the one of the main differences being animal fats contain cholesterol while plant-based oils do not.
Health Benefits and Uses. Coconut oil has a myriad of health benefits for the body including preventing heart disease and high blood pressure, reduces inflammation and arthritis, cancer prevention, improves memory and brain function, improves digestive properties, enhances energy and endurance, builds muscle and aids in body fat loss, naturally slows aging, various skin conditions, and prevents tooth decay and gum disease.
So, the next time you think about coconuts, Piña coladas and the Caribbean, try to think about your overall well-being and incorporate coconut oil into your lifestyle for its many health benefits
Coachella 2019 starts today! If you’re preparing for the festival, whether week 1 or week 2, and aren’t sure what to pack--we've got you covered! This survival guide was created to outline all the Coachella essentials you’ll need for the event, the campgrounds, as well as what you should not be packing (there are a lot of confiscations at this event).
- Official Coachella App: This app is required to activate your wristbands for the festival, and should be activated upon arrival to the campgrounds.
- Wristband: IDs are unique and should be guarded with your life. It contains a RFID chip that is scanned upon entry into the campground check-in and into the venue.
- Car Camping Pass: Car camping passes also contain RFID chips that are linked to the original wristbands they were originally ordered with.
Personal Items: Inside Coachella
- Dress: It will be hot, very hot! You should dress for the heat wearing comfortable, breathing clothes. Be sure to pack a hat, comfortable shoes, and a bandana for not only the style, but also the high amounts of dust. The evenings can be pretty cool, so pack a light jacket or sweatshirt.
- Sunglasses: The desert is bright! If you want to have a unique experience, purchase some diffraction glasses, which provide a different perspective of the lights at night.
- Hydration: It is very important to remember to HYDRATE while in the dessert partying. We can’t stress this enough and recommend purchasing a Camelbak to aid in water consumption and hydration.
- Portable Protein: Walking around in the hot sun and partying in the evening can take a toll on your physical health. To get your through the long days, pack some Go Raw bars to snack on along with some SANO portable premium plant-based proteins which can be coveniently mixed in your Camelbak.
- Ear Plugs: Protect your ears from the sets with loud decibels. You can also use them at night to help sleep, while people party all night long. You may also want to pack ibuprofen in case of headaches.
- Smartphone Charger and Power Banks: At some point your phone will die, so make sure to purchase a solar-powered bank to capture those Instagram moments.
- Suntan Lotion and Lip Balm: It’s important to protect from the damaging UV rays that cause our skin to dry out and age.
Personal Items: In the Campgrounds
- Toiletries: While Coachella’s campgrounds have showers, toiletries are not provided so make sure to bring travel-sized body wash, shampoo, conditioner, towel, deodorant, toilet paper (porta-potty TP is no-good!), and eyedrops for the dust.
- Personal Care: For the ladies, any makeup and personal female hygiene products,and for the men hair product and travel cologne. It’s always handy to have some travel sized hand sanitizers too.
- Skin Care: Sunscreen is very important in the desert. Don't forget lotion and moisturizer to rehydrate your skin.
- Oral hygiene: Goes without being said, but pack a toothbrush, plenty of toothpaste (you’d be surprised how many people will forget this!), floss and any other personal hygiene products.
- Medication: Any regular medications, allergy medicines, ibuprofen, Vitamin B12 and other daily supplements.
Coachella (non) Essentials
- Restrictions: glass products, metal/steel water bottles, coolers, drones, selfie-sticks, fireworks, drugs, glow sticks, laser pointers, aerosol cans, pets, umbrellas, video cameras, firearms, and weapons. Fanny packs are permissible!
- Not Advised: It tends to get very hot and dusty in the desert, so essentially anything that can melt should be left home (stick deodorants, soaps, chocolate edibles, etc). You should assume your footwear will be very dirty, if not ruined.
That concludes our list of essentials (and non-essentials) for you to bring to Coachella 2019! We hope you have a blast and please let us know if we missed anything.
In today’s always on-the-go lifestyle, you likely aren’t feeling your #SANOself day in and day out. How would you feel if we told you about an impactful way to purify your body of the toxins and stress that keep you operating at peak performance? Infrared saunas are super hot right now—figuratively and literally. Deep, cellular sweating is key to detoxify and energize your body, and it also provides you a great opportunity to digitally detox and relax too. In the sections that follow, we inform you of an effective way to detox the impurities that are trapped inside of your body.
What is Chromotherapy? Chromotherapy is the science of using colors as a therapeutic tool. Chromotherapists claim that sunlight can be used in form of colors to heal the mind, spirit, and lack of energy from body. They believe that colors have an untold story that can help heal our body and spirit. Colors have ability to affect our emotions, perception and can calm down or inspire us. Each of the seven chakras (or energy centres) in the human body is linked to a precise organ or system and can be manipulated by means of a specific color. An unbalanced Chakra causes various health issues in the body.
Infrared vs. Traditional Saunas. Traditional steam and hot rock saunas typically function at extremely high temperatures that are commonly set in excess of 200 degrees Fahrenheit creating an uncomfortable heat environment for most people. The invisible part of the sun’s spectrum that provides the heat is infrared light. Infrared light is responsible for everything living. Full spectrum saunas emit three infrared wavelengths independent of each other: near, mid, and far. Far infrared saunas are the most common on the market and penetrate the human tissue providing for a deep, detoxifying sweat. At optimal frequencies, the different wavelengths can precisely target specific benefits.
Health Benefits. Sweating is a way of detoxifying impurities from the body, and most humans don’t do it enough. The regular use of infrared or chromolight therapy saunas can help purify the body from the inside out benefitting mental, physical, and spiritual recovery. Below are the benefits that the infrared spectrum has on the body:
- NEAR: cell health/immunity, wound healing, anti-aging
- MID: improved circulation, weight loss, pain relief
- FAR: detoxification, lowered blood pressure, relaxation
Pre, During and Post-Sauna. Prior to entering an infrared sauna you will want to take the necessary procedures to prepare your body for the increase in core body temperature. In addition to consuming half your body weight in water throughout the day for peak hydration, you will want to consume at least 12 ounces of water just prior to your session. The optimal sauna session occurs for a period of 40 minutes with temperatures ranging from 100 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. To get your body accustomed, you may want to begin with 15-20 minute sessions at 100 degrees Fahrenheit every second or third day. You may notice that your body does not immediately sweat during these sessions, which is completely normal. Regular use of infrared saunas will provide increased sweating removing toxins from your body to feel rejuvenated and refreshed. After your sauna, you’ll want to consume at least 24 ounces of liquids. You may choose to re-hydrate with water, beverages that include electrolytes, or nutrient-dense plant-based protein, like SANO.
Benefits Associated with Color. Some colors soothe while others excite. Some help focus while others free the mind. Some important chromolight therapy colors and their effects on the human body are summarized below:
- RED: activates the circulatory and nervous system
- STRONG PINK: acts as a cleanser, strengthening the veins and arteries
- PINK: activates and eliminates impurities from the blood stream
- ORANGE: energizes and eliminates localized fat; helps address asthma and bronchitis
- STRONG YELLOW: strengthens the body and acts on the internal tissues
- YELLOW: reactivates and purifies the skin; helps with indigestion and bodily distress
- GREEN: acts as a nerve relaxant
- STRONG GREEN: provides anti-infectious, anti-septic and regenerative stimulation
- STRONG BLUE: lubricates joints and articulations; helps address infections, stress and nervous tension
- BLUE: stimulates muscle and skin cells, nerve and the circulatory system
- INDIGO: helps address inflammation, cataracts, glaucoma, ocular fatigue or nose bleeds
- VIOLET: relaxes the nerves and lymphatic system; addresses inflammations and urinary illness
Now is the time to experience inner-body vitality, muscle and organ relaxation, detoxification, pain relief, improved cell health, better circulation, anti-aging, skin purification, and weight loss a.k.a. the “holy grail” that are provided through the regular use of infrared saunas.